- Even a simple handshake protocol is different.
- For some Muslim ladies any physical contact is improper, including a handshake.
- In entire Asia the Dutch double kiss is very wrong.
- At Sumatra a handshake is quite common, but should be followed by a brief touch of the hart.
It shows that the other person is close to your heart.
A 'bare' handshake will raise some questions.
- Westerners eat with knife & fork, using two hands.
Eating with one hand shows a lack of good manners.
Chinese and Japanese use the right hand only.
Knife and fork are not the right tools for Chinese food
do the job.
- In Indonesia most people eat barehanded, the right hand that is.
The left one is reserved for paperless toilets.
Eating with two hands shows a lack of good manners.
- In Dutch culture it is inappropriate to point with the index finger.
In Asia it's rude.
A civilised Asian points with the thumb on top of a fist.
- Ask the Bill
- In Asia you should write a imaginary bill in the air to ask for the bill.
It is a bit similar to the Dutch gesture of counting money.
- Give & Receive
- A civilised Asian will use both hands when receiving.
In Holland two hands stretched out show improper greediness.