1996, the pre-sumit era
- Henk Jan is in for something completely different after 11½ years as IT specialist at Royal Dutch Airlines
- sam is a joint venture of ibm, malaysia airlines and swiss air
- henk jan learns algoritms for shift roster planning at plaza ibm
- the internet is emerging.
- everybody talks about the new, object oriented programming language: java.
- Just a half year later an economic crisis strikes Asia
- Henk Jan has to end his contract work sooner than planned
- in the cool, sunny highlands of Sumatra he works for months on a shift roster generator.
1997, the start up
back to nl
- Henk Jan ships his stuff back to the Netherlands.
- The cargo is lost for months.
- With just one shirt and tie Henk Jan sets out to find new customers in Holland.
- In the Netherlands Java is virtually unkown.
the name sumit
- Laurella Asselman, former KLM colleague of Henk Jan, devises SUMit, as an abbreviation of SUMatra Information Technology.
- The island of Sumatra (which is next to Java) returns in the 1st SUMit logo.
- The first SUMit customer offers Smalltalk contract work for the staff information system Perman II.
- During a lunch break on the 5th of May, Henk Jan formally founds SUMit, at the chambre of commerce in Rotterdam
- SUMit HQ roots in Gouda.
- Shortly after the founding the first customer recieves the first invoice.
1998, OO Smalltalk
1999, www.sum-it.nl materialises
- In the Malaysian highlands of Bukit Fraser www.sum-it.nl materialises.
- Smalltalk contract work generates the larger share of the revenue.
2000, Dot com hype
- In Ireland Henk Jan writes a 3rd SUMit course efficient database design.
- The dot com hype is at its peak. Internet is booming business.
on line stocks
- The first Java project, contract work via Devote: a web application for OHRA to trade stocks on line.
- The second Java contract, for a big telcom is completely insane.
- Henk Jan sees his programmers crawl under a desk at night to get a few hours of sleep.
- Revenue goes sky high
- but the dotcom pace is devestating.
- At the end of the year Henk Jan escapes from the dotcom hype.
- Hurray, the Australian embassy sticks a skippy in his passport
2001, SUMit shift roster generator
- The final Smalltalk contract: link Perman II to a new web system using XML.
- a company at Schiphol Airport orders the first SUMit shift roster software.
- It is a milestone for SUMit.
- SUMit develops the shift roster generator, using the artificial intelligence made in Sumatra.
- sumit opens a temporary side office, a software development center in Yarley, between New York and Philadelphia.
2002, Focus on research
- SUMit's second tailored software project: a project planning tool that checks feasibility of deadlines.
- again, sumit develops a project Yardley.
- SUMit invests a lot of time in research, develops a very fast route planning algorithm for the travelling salesman problem.
- during a second research project sumit analysis the google ranking algorithm.
- the sumit website reaches the top of the google search results.
2003, course design shift rosters
- Henk Jan invents the t-model uit.
- SUMit research and development creates www.huizentoppers.nl.
- SUMit develops a shift roster design training.
2004, standard shift roster software
shift roster design
- The shift roster design training proves to be a success at many customers.
- SUMit develops the on line shift roster software.
- Business gets too busy for contract work.
- In 2004 SUMit already serves 51 customers.
- SUMit finishes the last contract work near Utrechtse: match questino and demand of computer hardware.
- SUMit creates advanced route planner for the VCC Groep in Utrecht, using AI algorithms from the previous research project.
- SUMit cooperates with the Flemish Sara Borremans. For many years to come, Sara does graphical design of SUMit applications.
2005, tailored factory staff planning
- sumit designs a web application to match question and demand for trading meat for the Spanish Market Found.
- SCA Gennep asks a staff planning system.
- It is complex, tailored software for about 40 decentral planners.
2006, returning customers
team works in
- Heijen, Limburg
- Gouda, Holland
- Halle, Belgium;
- Taiping, Malaysia
- Katherine, Northern Territory
- Kiruna, Sweden
- sumit welcomes dhl schiphol, philips and the amsterdam tourist board as returning customers.
- they find sumit's way of doing business worth repeating.
2007, small multi national
- While celebrating 10 years of business SUMit welcomes new, international customers like the Royal Australian Navy in Sydney.
- visual artist Johan van den Boom translates ideas and concepts into images.
- the workshop shift roster design reaches a new high.
- Even a royal household becomes customer to roster staff at 2 palaces.
shift roster design training
- all over the netherlands, sumit's shift roster design training is now well known.
- during the long swedish midsummer days sumit cooperates with johan van den boom for the SCA staff planning system.
- henk jan works on a method for information design, based on the function psychology of Dr. Leonard Verhoef.
- the first paper prototypes made with the new design method see the Swedish light.
2009, Senang, rooster generator
- SUMit develops Senang, the shift roster generator.
- SCA is the first to order a generator for automatic assignment of safety tasks.
2010, successful Turing test
- SUMit develops the safety task assignment generator in Malaysia
- The safety staff fail to notice that a computer took over planning.
- dragon dreaming, Aboriginal culture, is a success during a tricky shift roster design
- dreams come true, no matter how difficult
- the first customer for the sumit route planner
- sort via points smart using Dutch postcodes
api route planner
- an API for the sumit routeplanner is operational so other web applications can have via points sorted to an efficient route.
- find your recumbent bicycle in a few minutes
Future, you as SUMit customer